Hi! Thanks so much for stopping by! We are so excited to see everyones comments. They have all been just great. We love to comment back as well. However...not everyone is linked up to their emails. :( BUT, it's easy peasy to do! Just go into your blogger account under EDIT PROFILE. Then under PRIVACY, check the little box next to show my email address (do make sure you have an address in there) and viola! Now we can have a little chat through emails after you've left a comment.

Friday, November 13, 2009

Traveling with Children (otherwise known as insanity)

Traveling with kids is always a challenge. Big or small, kids bore easily and finding ways to keep them occupied is no easy feat. When you lock them up in a car or airplane where they can’t move around freely the challenge becomes even greater. But I’m here to hand out some (hopefully) helpful tips.

I’ve been traveling with my kids, now 3 and 7, from one side of the US to the other and from Europe to the US for the past 7 years. I’ve done quite a few of both the domestic and international trips solo as well. The reason I’m still alive to tell the tale is preparation and whole lot of goodies. My best tip is packing for any possibility. I like to use JuJuBe Be Quicks to keep all my items organized. That way I can see exactly what I need based upon the color or design of the pouch.

Along with a spare shirt and diapers (if needed) be sure to pack lots of snacks that will survive the trip. Things like crackers, cereal, dried fruit and the occasional gummy bear are wonderful for keeping kids busy. In this case I think you can’t have enough snacks. There have been many times where our plane has been delayed and I’ve been saved by having food my kids like at my fingertips. I keep to non-messy snacks and generally pack them in small containers versus baggies so they don’t get crushed. I also prefer to travel with water instead of juice to avoid stains. I dedicate one JJB Pouch to food.

For activities I like to always include crayons or colored pencils, a small spiral notebook (pocket sized are good or school composition books), coloring books and some stickers. Just be sure to supervise kids with these items or your car may end up with a new interior! There are several great workbooks with activities related to travel. Rand McNally makes one my 7 year old has really liked in the past. It’s filled with dot-to-dots, color by number and hidden picture puzzles. You can find items like this at your local bookstore or online. I keep all the coloring items in another pouch so it’s easy to grab from the bag when I need it.

One thing I’ve learned when traveling by plane is insisting on being allowed to board first if you have small children. This varies by airline, some only grant this to those with children under five years old but internationally most airlines will request families with children to board first, a wonderful stress saver. The stroller will have to be folded and left behind and lugging a baby, a carseat and a bag is a slow process. How many of you have had to install a carseat on a plane? It’s no easy feat. Ask for bulkhead seating which will allow you more room to move around and give the kids a place to play after take-off if allowed by the airline (most are fairly flexible). Be sure to confirm your bulkhead seat reservation and remind the agent when you check in. Know however that on occasion even though you requested the seat won’t always get them. If you need help during the flight, warming a bottle for instance, just ask.

I like to pack any additional items in another pouch (and don’t forget to include a parent pouch – music player, headache medicine and other items you might need). Items such as bandaids, tissues, wet wipes and a plastic baggie or two for either motion sickness or a wet shirt come in handy. I also carry a travel size bottle of hand sanitizer (remember limits of liquids if traveling by plane. You can go to the TSA website for specifics – TSA Liquid Rules) My son carries his own backpack which has the things he likes to do; handheld game, spare batteries, headphones, toy cars and a few books.

My experience traveling with kids definitely favors travel by plane but these same items can be packed for a car. The kids can play games such as spotting different state license plates or colors of cars. No matter what you pack and prepare for inevitably there will be some small thing you didn’t bring. I’ve learned to just take it in stride and move on!



I’m a mom of 2 children living life in the wilds of Philadelphia. I write for a literary magazine and surf the internet in my spare time. I blog at Blogging Mama.

7 comments:

Taylor said...

there is some great tips in here! I like your idea about using seperate totes for all the diffirent things you bring. I don't know how many times I have dug to the bottom of my travelbag looking for a stinkin pacifier!

Liz Mays said...

I've seen those Rand McNally activity books and I agree. They are pretty great!

Alycia said...

Awesome ideas!!! This Christmas I'll be flying for the first time with my baby. Good thing its only an hour flight! I just hope I can keep her entertained :)

ericdbolton said...

We travel at night.. That way they sleep most of the time...


In theory..

Unknown said...

Bolton - If that were true, it would be the only time I would travel!

Missty said...

Oh great tips! We have traveled alot with our 4 boys since they were young. I always bought little new toys, handheld games, etc. So, whatever it was was excitng to them. Many times the first item was good for the entire flight or drive! Then it was put away till the trip home. And I agree - lots of snacks.

Driving at night is awesome.

Oh and if this is a first flight, let the flight attendent know, and ask for the kids first "wings" Always fun to get and have for a scrapbook.

Another flight item - bring birth certificates with you if the kids don't have passports. As long as your staying in the United States that should be fine.

Alycia said...

Thank you! I will ask for wings for her! What a great souviner!!